Texas Chili Cheese Dog
The only regional hot dog that matters, the Texas Chili Cheese Dog is an ooey-gooey masterpiece. Add some pickled jalapeños if you like it hot.
- 4 Mrs Baird’s® Hot Dog Buns
- 4 hot dogs
- Chili sauce (recipe follows)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced red onions (optional)
- Pickled jalapeños (optional; recipe follows)
- Chili sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon masa harina (if this finely ground corn flour isn’t available at your grocer, you can substitute cornmeal)
- Heat oil in large pot on medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices and simmer 20 minutes.
- While the chili is simmering, grill hot dogs until cooked through.
- Place each hot dog in a bun and top with ¼ cup of chili.
- Top with cheese and optional garnish.